Monday, April 23, 2012

Adelante Mujer Latina




On Saturday, April 20 I had the pleasure of presenting at the Adelante Mujer Latina Conference at Pasadena City College. I have been involved with Adelante Mujer when I was in San Diego, but this is the first time I had the pleasure of presenting at the conference in Los Angeles. There were 1500 to 1800 Latina girls in attendance who were inspired, motivated, and encouraged by other Latina women to find their purpose and pursue their dreams. I was truly honored to be a part of this very special group of women.

I presented Buscando tu voz en dos culturas/Finding Your Voice in Two Cultures to a group of young women and their moms. The presentation went well and the girls were very interested in my story of getting to college and completing my doctorate. I stressed the importance of finding your voice in both cultures and embracing both of the cultures you represent and not rejecting one for the other. The girls were attentive and asked questions about requirements and how to ensure that you are going to be successful in college.

I stressed the importance of writing and having the academic skills to be successful to make it through to the university. As an administrator for the California State University System, I know that many Latinos make it to the CSU, but very few of them graduate. I am committed to help Latinos stay motivated and inspired as they pursue their education.  It is so important for our country and our economy that Latinos get educated and participate in the economic recovery.

The packet for my presentation, which provides prompts for getting started writing on a regular basis, can be downloaded at: Buscando tu voz en dos culturas. If you are interested in more information, please look up the group at: Adelante Mujer Latina.

Con un pan y cafecito,
Seguimos adelante,
Zulmara Maria




Vale más una imagen que mil palabras
A picture is worth a thousand words

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing opportunity for the girls/women that attended!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing you're doing- mentoring many is a blessing and I congratulate you on the strength you're sharing.

    BB2U

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias mis amigas, it was a great day and the Latina Power was palatable!!!

    Zulmara Maria

    ReplyDelete